Nothing is scarier than that moment after you flush the toilet and watch in horror as the water continues to rise to the bowl’s edge and does not stop. In most cases, the water will actually stop before it overflows, but in situations where your commode suddenly becomes a microcosm of Niagara Falls, immediately turn off the water. You can turn it off in one of two ways:
- Use the shutoff valve attached to the tank by the water supply tube, or
- Reach into the tank and lift the float on the fill valve
Broken or Leaky Pipe
There is one thing to do in this situation and that is to turn off your home’s main shutoff valve, which is usually located next to your water meter. If not there, it should be near the area where the main water line comes into your house. Keep it turned off until you are able to acquire the assistance of a plumbing professional.
Scalding Hot Water
Ironic as it sounds, this a clear indicator that your hot water heater has over-heated. You should do the following in this situation:
- Turn off water heater from circuit breaker box
- Turn on all hot water faucets to relieve water heater
- Let the water run until it turns cold
- Turn off faucets and call a plumbing service
For more information on emergency plumbing in Carlsbad please visit this website.